Natural stone floors can be such a nice addition to the style of a household. They provide a smooth, cold surface that can feel refreshing, especially with an air conditioner on hot days. The grey colour is also nice, providing either a rest from the vibrant colours in the rest of the household or meshing seamlessly with other neutral colours to give your home a feeling of uniformity and comfort. With that being said, how do I maintain the natural stone floor’s beauty?
Cleaning Your Natural Stone Floors
Keeping your stone floors clean is a fairly simple process. Follow these steps regularly to make your natural stone floors shine!
- Vacuum or sweep the floor to remove any dirt particles
- Fill a bucket with a gallon of warm water and either use just the water or mix in a small amount of a recommended stone floor cleaner. Dip a microfiber towel into the bucket, ring out thoroughly, attach it to the mop handle and begin cleaning or use a regular wet mop
- Wash floors by starting at the outermost corner of the room and working methodically towards the room exit
- Allow the floors to air dry
Natural Stone Floor Maintenance
By taking a few preventative measures, you can keep your natural stone flooring look brand new for years to come. We’ve listed some important stone floor maintenance tips that are helpful for keeping all your natural stone looking brand new for years to come.
- Use a sealant on your natural stone surfaces when they’re installed and be sure to refresh. Ask one of our design experts about which is the best sealant for you to use and how often you should reseal.
- Blot up spills immediately
- Dust mop your stone floors frequently
- Protect your natural stone floors with non-slip mats or area rugs
- Don’t wipe spills, as this will cause them to spread
- Don’t use products that contain lemon juice, vinegar and other acids on marble, limestone or travertine. The acidity will mar the surface.
- Don’t use abrasive materials like steel wool, microfiber scrub pads, scrapers or abrasive cleansers on your natural stone surfaces, as they will definitely scratch the surface
- Don’t use ammonia-based cleansers, as they will dull the surface
With these tips, all that’s left is to choose the style of flooring you want! The easy maintenance for your floors makes natural stone a great choice for material!